- blood bank
- nouna place for storing whole blood or blood plasma-
the Red Cross created a blood bank for emergencies• Hypernyms: ↑bank
* * *noun: a place for storage of or an institution storing blood or plasma; also : blood so stored
* * *1. a place where blood or blood plasma is collected, processed, stored, and distributed.2. such a supply of blood or blood plasma.[1935-40]
* * *blood bank nounA supply of blood plasma, or the place where it is kept• • •Main Entry: ↑blood
* * *a place where blood is stored so that it can be given to people during medical operationsThesaurus: transplant operations and blood and organ donationhyponym
* * *blood bank,1. a place for storage of blood to be used in transfusions.2. the blood kept in storage.
* * *n. a place where supplies of blood or plasma for transfusion are stored
* * *noun, pl ⋯ banks [count]: a place where blood is stored so that it later can be given to people who are ill
* * *ˈblood bank [blood bank blood banks] nouna place where blood is kept for use in hospitals, etc.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
blood bank — blood′ bank n. 1) a place where blood or blood plasma is collected, processed, stored, and distributed 2) the supply of blood or blood plasma at such a place • Etymology: 1935–40 … From formal English to slang
blood bank — blood banks N COUNT A blood bank is a place where blood which has been taken from blood donors is stored until it is needed for people in hospital … English dictionary
blood bank — ☆ blood bank n. 1. a place where whole blood or blood plasma is drawn, typed, processed, and stored under refrigeration for future use 2. any reserve of blood for use in transfusion … English World dictionary
blood bank — n a store of human blood to be used in hospital treatment … Dictionary of contemporary English
blood bank — blood ,bank noun count a place where blood is stored so that it can be given to people during medical operations … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Blood bank — A blood bank is a cache or bank of blood or blood components, gathered as a result of blood donation, stored and preserved for later use in blood transfusions.Transfusion serviceMost hospital blood banks also perform the testing to determine the… … Wikipedia
Blood bank — A place where blood is collected from donors, typed, separated into components, stored, and prepared for transfusion to recipients. A blood bank may be a separate free standing facility or part of a larger laboratory in a hospital. Separation of… … Medical dictionary
blood bank — 1. a place where blood or blood plasma is collected, processed, stored, and distributed. 2. such a supply of blood or blood plasma. [1935 40] * * * Organization that collects, stores, processes, and supplies blood. Most blood donations are… … Universalium
blood bank — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms blood bank : singular blood bank plural blood banks a place where blood is stored so that it can be given to people during medical operations … English dictionary
blood bank — Synonyms and related words: Rh factor, Rh negative, Rh positive, Rh type, Rhesus factor, X ray, antibody, antigen, arterial blood, arterial transfusion, blood, blood cell, blood count, blood donor, blood donor center, blood group, blood grouping … Moby Thesaurus